Saturday 19 October 2013

Appreciate

This week’s been a weird week and appears to be constant reminder of death and the possibilities. On Sunday I picked up The Fault In Our Stars by John Green at my friend’s house and was instantly hooked. I read the entire book on Sunday and it was a brilliant read that left me with all types of mixed emotions.  On Tuesday two girls around my age died in a car crash, with one of them previously being someone I danced with and whom was in the year above me at school. This caused heartbreak to my whole school and is a horror story around my whole county. I then watched the Finn Hudson Glee episode, which reflects on the death of Cory Montieth and although Glee is a fun show there are always serious undertones. And finally, I watched danisnotonfire’s ‘existential crisis’* video, which reflected so many things I think we all think about.

All these events have got me thinking and reflecting on my life. I’ve always been someone who thinks we should appreciate what we have. Everyone always wishes to have more, me included (dam there are a beautiful pair of shoes that have my name on) but, I am truly lucky and so are the majority of people. Seeing events and stories like this show how you should really live every day to the full. Now I’m not telling you all to YOLO the cause completely, but it’s important to strike the right balance between living for the moment and thinking for the future and I think it’s important not to place too much of an emphasis on either. It’s important to not be reckless in your actions…

For example, today I could have taken home study in the afternoon and gone to the pub for a distant friend’s birthday. But, I looked at the bigger picture. I had stacks of work to do and I knew I was probably more likely to regret not doing it than going to the pub. So I did the mature thing and looked to the future and had a productive afternoon in the library. 

So live by the two life mottos of our generation YOLO (You Only Live Once) and YOYO (You’re Only Young Once) but, don’t take them to the extreme. Find that balance of going out and working hard, which should hopefully make the best lives for all of us!

Peace out my lovelies xxxx

*existential crisis is a moment at which an individual questions the very foundations of his or her life: whether his or her life has any meaning, purpose or value.



No comments:

Post a Comment