Sunday 6 October 2013

Summer memories- Reading Festival 2013

Now that October has begun (seriously were has this year gone, I’m still writing ‘2012’ as the date) it is officially time to reminisce about those summer days. And how brilliant was some summer right?

Now hands down one of the best things to happen in my summer holidays was Reading Festival. It has been my dream for the last couple of years to attend a festival and finally this came true. It wasn’t only that I got to see some of my favorite artists in the world; it was the whole combined experience that made it great!

I camped with around 20 people from school, including a couple of my Best Friends and knew stacks of people around the camp from my school and my area as well, meaning it felt like a massive holiday. But, I didn’t just spend all my time with the people I’ve known for years because the festival is seriously one of the friendliest places ever. I know, I know there is the good and bad side to a festival (I saw some nasty side effects of drugs) but, if you want to you can defiantly see all the beauty of a festival. The British are renowned for ignoring each other but, that isn’t the case in the middle of a crowd, when you’re closer to strangers than you ever expected. Everyone’s up for a chat and people have a common interest, MUSIC. Everyone walks round singing and high-fiving meaning you can’t help but be happy.
Face paint, wellies and flower crowns 
Everywhere you turn there is something happening, whether it’s to you or simply something to watch, meaning so many things are implanted in your brain forever. You get to do all the stereotypical festival acts- wear wellies, flower crowns and florescent paint- and don’t worry I didn't waste a second of my freedom. I walked round all weekend representing the epitome of a keen festival goer.

Now this is a weird one but, the Toilets and dirtiness is defiantly terrifying but, it makes Reading, Reading. The camp toilets are truly horrific- basically being a cesspit. But, don’t worry there is hope when you enter the arena, there are FLUSHING TOILETS and it truly is a revelation when you've got used to the camp ones. Also, I spent 5 days washing with wet wipes and dry shampoo- I know its revolting- but surprisingly isn't as bad as expected. My hair lived up to occasion and wasn't as greasy as expected, so gold star to my locks! But, in a weird way the camping and dirtiness was one of the highlights, because it just meant everything was right.

Musical Highlight- Biffy Clyro headlining on Sunday Evening
Last but, defiantly not least there is the Music and dam the atmosphere is mindboogling. Live gigs are one of my favorite things in the world and I get such a buzz after watching a performance, so being able to watch multiple acts in a day is amazing. Where ever you are in a crowd the atmosphere is insane and it’s great rocking up to an act you've never heard of before and falling in love with their sound.  Standing in a crowd and realizing everyone is there for exactly the same reason as you, makes the whole thing a collective experience.

“You embraced the weather, you crowd surfed, you sang at the top of your lungs and you raved like no one else can. 2013, we will not forget you...”

Reading Festival made this statement and it puts Reading in one sentence and demonstrates what a unique atmosphere a festival is. I would attend a festival every year if it wasn't for the continual problem of life- no money- boohoo :’( But guys it is a life experience beyond any others, you grow up and create life memories in a few days, seriously you should all go! It’s one of those events that unless you live it you can never truly understand how brilliant it is.

Peace out my lovelies xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment